Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Form SA100 is a Self Assessment tax return. This form is completed in a variety of circumstances to make a declaration of income to HM Revenue & Customs. It is possible for anyone to complete a tax return annually if they wish to do so, but it is usually people that meet certain criteria who complete a tax return.

If a person is self employed as an individual, a partner or in a company they will need to register for Self Assessment with HMRC, who will then issue the relevant tax return on a yearly basis. Other criteria HMRC Advicefor completion of a tax return includes anyone with income which exceeds £100,000, company directors, savings or investments that exceed £10,000 or untaxed savings or investments above £2500. Ministers of religion, a member of Lloyd’s, or if you receive income from property above £2500 will also require a tax return.

Pensioners may also have to complete a form SA100 if they are over the age of 65 and have total income which exceeds a specified limit which varies each year. For instance, if someone aged over 65 had income which exceeded £24,000 in the year 2011-12, their age allowances would be reduced accordingly. To ensure that they pay the correct amount of tax, a tax return is required.

There are other instances that require completion of a Self Assessment tax return, and also many cases which are straight forward and a return isn’t required. Contact an accountant or HMRC if you are unsure whether you need to complete a form SA100.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.