Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


There are several ways that you can pay what you owe for Self Assessment, including through Direct Debit, by making a transfer, paying with a card, or even through your tax code if you work for an employer.

Making a Self Assessment payment to HMRC

Paying your tax bill through your tax code

Making payments on account

What is the payment deadline for Self Assessment?

What happens if I can’t pay my Self Assessment tax bill?

HMRC will calculate your bill once you submit your Self Assessment tax return. They will accept payments:

If you make a payment directly to HMRC, remember to include your UTR number as a reference so they know who to allocate it to!

Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

You might be able to pay your Self Assessment tax bill through your tax code if you work for an employer who deducts tax from your earnings under PAYE.

This means that you can spread your tax bill across twelve months, as long as you meet the criteria to be eligible. Just be aware that this means your tax code will change (and so your employer will be aware of the change and may question it!).

If your tax bill for Self Assessment is more than £1,000 then you’ll usually be asked to make advance payments towards the following year’s tax bill – known as making payments on account. The first instalment will be half of the current year’s bill and is due at the same time, so it can be a bit of a shock if you’re not prepared!

Unless you arrange to have the tax which you owe collected through your tax code, you’ll need to pay your 2022/23 Self Assessment tax bill and any payments on account by midnight on 31st January 2024.

Depending on how much you owe and when it was due, you may be able to make a Time to Pay agreement if you’re having trouble paying your Self Assessment tax bill. It’s better to contact HMRC as soon as possible so you can discuss the best way to make affordable re-payments.

Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses. Call 020 3355 4047 to chat to the team, and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Rachael Johnston

A creative content writer specialising across business, finance and software topics. I have a love for all things writing, and creating engaging, easy to understand content that helps everyday people! Learn more about Rachael.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Employers Need to Know About Statutory Maternity Pay

There’s lots to think about as an employer, but one big thing you don’t want to fly under your radar is what…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.