Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


The SA108 form is a supplementary page which sometimes needs to be submitted alongside the paper-based Self Assessment tax return by people reporting capital gains.

Do I need to submit an SA108 form?

If you submit your main Self Assessment tax return using the paper based SA100 form and you need to tell HMRC about any capital gains or losses which you made during the tax year, you may need to include an SA108 form with your return.

Capital gains are the profits you make when you ‘dispose’ of an asset. This usually means that you’ve sold it, but disposing of an asset can also mean that you’ve gifted it to someone else, swapped it, or been compensated for it another way.

You’ll need to pay Capital Gains Tax if the total ‘gain’ you make in a year is more than Annual Exempt Amount – a tax-free allowance for capital gains. The annual thresholds are shown in the table below.

Individuals Trustees
2023/24 £6,000 £3,000
2024/25 £3,000 £1,500

Should I complete an SA108 if I do my Self Assessment online?

No, you’ll only need to complete and submit the SA108 form to report Capital Gains Tax if you use the paper-based version of the Self Assessment return. When you complete your tax return online, you’ll be asked a series of questions to tailor your return so that it includes all of the sections that you need.

Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

How do I submit an SA108 form?

You’ll need to download the SA108 form from the HMRC website – make sure you use the correct form for the tax year that you’re reporting!

Once it’s complete, submit it along with your main tax return form and any other supplementary pages to the address shown on the main form.

Learn more about our online accounting services, including support for your Self Assessment. Call 020 3355 4047 and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

July 2024 Client of the Month: AddVitality Ltd

This month we spoke to Andrew, owner of AddVitality Ltd! AddVitality | Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn Hey Andrew! Tell us about your business…

Read More

What is the VAT Reverse Charge?

VAT can be daunting for any type of business. From ensuring you’ve registered before you reach the threshold, to recalculating your prices…

Read More

Claiming R&D Tax Relief for Businesses

Limited companies involved in research and development (R&D) activities may be able to claim different types of tax relief against their Corporation…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.