Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Along with your name and date of birth, HMRC uses unique reference numbers to help them your tax records. A Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number is a 10-digit reference number which identifies your business.

What is a UTR number?

How do I get a UTR number?

Where do I find my UTR number?

What if I can’t find my UTR?

UTR stands for Unique Taxpayer Reference and, like the name suggests, this is a unique code issued by HMRC when someone sets up a business. You might also hear it called a ‘tax reference’. Depending on what sort of business structure you run, you might have more than one UTR.

You’ll normally be sent a UTR number after incorporating a new company, or as a result of registering yourself or another entity (such as a partnership) for Self Assessment. Some people need to apply for more than one UTR number. For example, if you set up a company and you’re the only director and shareholder:


Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

Your UTR number is usually shown on any letters or emails between you and HMRC. Just make sure that you use the correct one!

If you can’t find any letters or documents from HMRC with your UTR on, you might be able to find it by signing into your Personal Tax Account. If you still struggle to find it, contact HMRC as soon as possible, especially if you’re getting near to your tax return deadline.
Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses and employers. Call the team on 020 3355 4047, or get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.