Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


The SA103 Form is a supplementary page you may need to use if you submit a paper version of the Self Assessment tax return and need to report any self-employment income to HMRC.

Do I need to complete an SA103 Form?

You only need to fill in an SA103 Form if you make money from self-employment and submit your Self Assessment tax return using a paper form. You don’t need to complete a separate SA103 postal form if you submit your Self Assessment online.

Which version of the SA103 Form should I use?

There are two different versions of the form, so you’ll need to use the right one based on your turnover for the year:

  • SA103F if your annual turnover was more than the £90,000 VAT registration threshold for the tax year, or if you’ve changed your accounting date
  • SA203S if your annual turnover was below the VAT registration threshold in that tax year and your tax is fairly straightforward


Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

What information should I include on my SA103 form?

If you have more than one business, then you’ll need to fill in a separate form for each one. HMRC provide more detailed guidance on completing the form on their website, but it’s normally a case of providing the details about any income the business received, as well as your allowable expenses.

Including your expenses means that you can claim tax relief against the money that your business spends, helping to reduce the tax bill that you need to pay.

It can be a bit confusing, but you don’t need to include the details of income you receive as a company director on your SA103 Form. This is because it’s classed as a type of employment or ‘office’. If you need to tell HMRC about this type of income, you should also complete an SA102 Form.

How do I submit my SA103 Form?

The SA103 Form is available to download from the HMRC website, along with the main SA100 tax return form. Once you’ve entered all of the information, post your return to the address shown on the form.

The deadline for submitting a paper return is a bit earlier than if you submit online, so make sure your forms reach HMRC before 31st October!

Learn more about our online accounting services, including support for your Self Assessment. Call 020 3355 4047 and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Rachael Anderson

A creative content writer specialising across business, finance and software topics. I have a love for all things writing, and creating engaging, easy to understand content that helps everyday people! Learn more about Rachael.

More posts by this author
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Rıfat Erdem Sahin
Rıfat Erdem Sahin
5th August 2017 10:14 pm

Can i use this as an owner of a ltd company ?

Read more posts...

Claiming R&D Tax Relief for Businesses

Limited companies involved in research and development (R&D) activities may be able to claim different types of tax relief against their Corporation…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

How Do I Reduce Tax on My Holiday Let Rental?

Owning a holiday let can be expensive, especially when it comes to keeping the place looking fresh, clean and modern. And then…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.