Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


The SA101 is a supplementary page to the Self Assessment tax return if you submit a paper form. It’s used to tell HMRC about less common types of income that you might receive, or if you need to report deductions, tax relief or losses, pension charges, or participation in a tax avoidance scheme.

Who should fill out an SA101 Form?

You should complete an SA101 Form if you submit a paper-based Self Assessment tax return and need to report additional income, or certain types of tax reliefs not included in the main SA100 tax return form or in the other supplementary pages. If you receive joint income, you only need to include your share.

What should I report on an SA101 form?

Your SA101 should include the details of any interest or disguised interest that you receive from various forms of securities, bonds, or specific types of loan. Disguised interest works in pretty much the same way as earning interest, but it’s not considered ‘interest’ in a legal sense or taxed in the same way. Examples of what you might need to report include:

  • UK government bonds which are listed on the Stock Exchange, such as gilt-edged securities, gilts, and government stocks
  • Bonds or other types of securities issued by companies, local authorities or other bodies in the UK
  • Peer-to-peer loans made through a UK platform. These are platforms where borrowers are matched with lenders via online platforms or offline brokers.
  • You don’t need to include interest that you might receive from Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs), or Personal Equity Plans (PEPs).

You should also use this form if you need to report gains you receive from insurance policies or annuity contracts. This applies if a UK insurer issues you with a ‘chargeable event’ certificate. Insurers will do this if they know that you’ve made a ‘gain’ from life insurance policies, capital redemption policies, or life annuity contracts. This can happen if a policy matures or is surrendered, or as a result of the death of someone with life insurance.

Your SA101 should also include the details of:


Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

How do I submit an SA101?

You can download the paper Self Assessment form and any supplementary pages from HMRC. Submit your SA101 alongside your main SA100 tax return using the address shown on the form before 31st October following the end of the tax year that the form relates to.

Do I need to submit an SA101 if I complete an online Self Assessment tax return?

No, the online form will include all the sections that you need to complete. You will only need to use an SA101 if you submit a paper return and need to tell HMRC about any of the areas covered by the form.

Learn more about our online accounting services, including support for your Self Assessment. Call 020 3355 4047 and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Lauren Harvey

A fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, I support a wide range of businesses, from sole traders and partnerships to larger limited companies. Learn more about Lauren.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Maternity Pay for Self-Employed People

Being self-employed can offer the kind of freedom and flexibility many of us dream about. But if you’re looking to start or…

Read More

What are Payments on Account?

Payments on account are a type of advance payment that you might need to make towards your Self Assessment tax bill. In…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Aaron Parkinson, Semi-Senior Accountant

This month we spoke to Aaron Parkinson, Semi-Senior Accountant at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.