Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Many limited companies choose to reward or incentivise their employees by gifting shares in their company. These are known as Employee Related Securities (ERS).

What are Employee Related Securities?

Commonly referred to as ERS, Employee Related Securities are a way for limited companies to gift or awards shares in its business to employees, including directors. An ERS scheme can be tax advantaged or non-tax advantaged.

Tax advantaged schemes include:

The tax advantage is to the employee receiving the shares and could be in the form of not paying tax or National Insurance on the value of the share.

You may choose to grant shares through a non-tax advantaged schemes if tax-efficient structures aren’t right for your business. Through non-tax advantaged schemes, employees can be gifted or awarded the option to acquire shares. Employees will only pay income tax on their shares when they choose to exercise their options.

How do I report my ERS scheme to HMRC?

Even if it is a one-off gift of shares, all new ERS schemes need to be registered with HMRC. You’ll need to file an ERS tax return for every year an ERS scheme is active. The deadline to submit returns by is 6 July, following the end of the financial year. Even if you aren’t actively transferring shares that year but you have live ERS schemes, you’ll need to still submit a ‘nil return’.

For any company share transfers made in the coming tax year the deadline for 20/21 ERS returns is

6 July 2021

Do I need to report all ERS schemes?

In the most part, yes, but there are some notable exceptions where an ERS return isn’t required. You won’t need to complete an ERS return if the share transfer concerns a domestic, family or personal relationship. For example, if you are the owner of a limited company and want to gift shares to your son or daughter, you won’t need to complete an ERS return.

What happens if I decide to end an ERS scheme?

You’ll need to inform HMRC if you choose to end any Employee Related Securities scheme. You can do this by using the Government Gateway user ID that you set up the scheme with. You’ll also need to provide the end date of the ERS scheme that you want to close.

accounting services for limited companies

About The Author

Suzanne Goodier-Dodson

I'm a Payroll Manager with a degree in Mathematics, responsible for overseeing every aspect of payroll for our clients. In my spare time, I love to travel and going to gigs. Read my Staff Spotlight.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.