Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Though the names are similar enough to make things nice and confusing, the Marriage Allowance and Married Couple’s Allowance have slightly different requirements. Don’t worry, we’ll take you through the basics.

What is the Marriage Allowance?

The Marriage Allowance is a type of tax relief which allows a UK tax payer to transfer part of their tax free Personal Allowance over to their partner. The Personal Allowance is the amount of money someone can earn in a tax year before they have to start paying tax on it.

The Marriage Allowance for 2024/25 is


Whilst the Personal Allowance is deducted from your total taxable income at the end of the year, the Marriage Allowance is credited as a reduction on your tax bill.

Will my tax code change?

Yes, if you choose to use the Marriage Allowance then both your and your partner’s tax code will change.

  • The recipient’s tax code will normally change to M
  • The sender’s tax code will usually change to N

Can the Marriage Allowance be backdated?

You can backdate Marriage Allowance claims by up to 4 years, but you must be eligible for all of those years. Earnings should also fall within the specific tax thresholds of any past years.

Who is eligible for the Marriage Allowance?

You are eligible for Marriage Allowance as long as:

  • You’re married or in a civil partnership
  • You don’t already receive Married Couple’s Allowance (which we’ll get to!)
  • You were born after April 6th 1935
  • One of you is earning less than the £12,570 Personal Allowance, and therefore isn’t required to pay tax


Online accountancy services

Get a quote and see how much you could be saving!

Get an instant quote

What is the Married Couple’s Allowance?

The Married Couple’s Allowance is a more generous version of the Marriage Allowance. Couples who are married or in a civil partnership are only eligible if one of you was born before 6th April 1935.

For couples married before December 5th 2005, the amount of allowance that can be transferred is calculated using the husband’s salary. You can still transfer this over to your wife.

Civil partnerships and marriages taking place after December 5th 2005 calculate the allowance using the salary of the highest earner in the couple.

Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses. Call 020 3355 4047 to chat to the team, and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author

Comments are closed.

Read more posts...

Maternity Pay for Self-Employed People

Being self-employed can offer the kind of freedom and flexibility many of us dream about. But if you’re looking to start or…

Read More

What are Payments on Account?

Payments on account are a type of advance payment that you might need to make towards your Self Assessment tax bill. In…

Read More

Tax and VAT for Online Dropshippers

Selling online through your own website or on an ecommerce platform can be a great way to launch a business, or just…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.