Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Use the form R40 to claim back tax on bank interest or investments if you think you have paid too much.

How far back can I claim?

You can claim tax back for up to four* years after the end of the tax year you are claiming for. You’ll need to complete a separate form for each year that you need to make a claim.

How do I submit an R40 to reclaim tax?

The R40 form includes the address that you will need to submit your application to. You can also make a claim through HMRC using your Government Gateway account.


instant quotes for online accountancy

Who can submit an R40 form?

You can use the form R40 to reclaim tax paid on bank interest or investments if your total income is below the current year’s threshold. You might also want to learn more about the Personal Savings Allowance.

If tax deductions are made on child’s savings, parents can use the form to reclaim the tax on their behalf.

* Information updated February 2020

About The Author

Christopher Jones

Forensics graduate-turned copywriter and blogger. I love turning complex topics into easy to understand, yet engaging pieces of content.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.