Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Employers issue a P60 to employees at the end of every tax year. The P60 shows the employee how much their employer has paid them, as well as the tax and NI contributions their employer has deducted for PAYE, in a tax year. It also shows an employee’s tax reference number.

Do I need to keep my P60?

Though your employer should issue payslips each time they pay you, a P60 is a useful document to keep hold of. It shows you what’s been earned (and deducted) in a year, and is often the easiest way to prove what income you received and what tax has been paid through PAYE.

If you’re self-employed as well as working for an employer then your P60 will help you complete the ’employment details’ section of your Self Assessment tax return.

Complete managed payroll service

From just £6.00 per payslip

Learn more

How do I get a P60?

Your employer will normally issue your P60 after the end of the tax year it relates to (5th April, every year), although you might not get one straight away and your employer has until May to do so. If you don’t receive one, follow this up with your employer.

Do I get a P60 from each employer?

If you have more than one employer, then you’ll receive a separate P60 from each one. The individual P60s will only show the income and tax deductions relating to that employer. If you complete a Self Assessment tax return, don’t forget to include the details of each employer – you’ll need the separate P60s to help you.

Do I have to print my employees’ P60s?

As an employer you can provide your employees with either a digital or paper version of their P60. You’ll need to make sure they receive their copy before 31st May in the same year that the relevant tax year ended.

Do sole traders need to issue themselves a P60?

As a sole trader you’re not technically paying yourself a salary from the business, you’re just left with the profits. Because you’re not an employee, you don’t need to issue yourself with a P60.

Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses. Call 020 3355 4047 to chat to the team, and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Suzanne Goodier-Dodson

I'm a Senior Payroll Clerk with a degree in Mathematics, responsible for overseeing every aspect of payroll for our clients. In my spare time, I love to travel and going to gigs. Read my Staff Spotlight.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Claiming R&D Tax Relief for Businesses

Limited companies involved in research and development (R&D) activities may be able to claim different types of tax relief against their Corporation…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

How Do I Reduce Tax on My Holiday Let Rental?

Owning a holiday let can be expensive, especially when it comes to keeping the place looking fresh, clean and modern. And then…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.