Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The short answer is that yes, you can take on an employee who doesn’t have a P45. We explain what to do when your new recruit doesn’t seem to have a P45.

What is a P45 form?

Put simply, a P45 form is a document which demonstrates how much tax you have paid on your salary during the financial year. Each employee receives this as a reference when employment ends.

Their next employer uses the information on the employee’s P45 form to record their new starter with HMRC. It also helps them to move the employee over on to their payroll system.

Why doesn’t my new employee have a P45?

There are lots of possible reasons, so we can’t speak on behalf of every P45-less employee you might stumble across. Usually these boil down to two main reasons:


managed payroll services

What should I do if a new member of staff doesn’t have a P45?

If you do find yourself recruiting a new member of the team who doesn’t come with a P45 then you’ll need to complete HMRC’s New Starter Checklist. This simple checklist was put in place to replace the old P46 forms, which are no longer in use.

In the absence of a P45, the checklist enables you to gather all of the information you’ll need to set an employee up on your PAYE system, including things like:

This checklist is available to fill in digitally or as a printable document. Employees only need to provide this information to their employer, rather than sending the form to HMRC.

Check out our New Employer’s Guide for more information.

Speak to one of the team about our business accounting and bookkeeping services. Call 020 3355 4047 or get your instant quote.

About The Author

Katherine Kendrick

An experienced Payroll professional, I hold a CIPP Diploma in Payroll Management and have been working in the sector since 2003. In my spare time I like to be with my friends and family, or doing a spot of pilates.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Paying Tax on Dividends in 2022/23

Dividend payments can seem confusing, especially because you’ll pay a different rate of tax on them than on your other income. We…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Suzanne Goodier-Dodson – Payroll Manager

Our staff spotlight this month is Suzanne Goodeier-Dodson! Suzanne explains her role as Payroll Manager here at The Accountancy Partnership. Give an…

Read More

Entrepreneurialism in the Year of the Tiger

According to Hong Kong-based astronomer, Jupiter Lai, the transition from the Chinese Year of the Ox to a Tiger year on 1st…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.