Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


HM Revenue & Customs have issued an alert regarding changes to Corporation Tax from April 2011. Companies whose accounting periods end after 31st March 2010 will have to file their Company tax return online. Any payments for Corporation Tax will also have to be made electronically, such as Direct Debit.

Corporation Tax is the tax due on taxable profits of limited companies as well as other organisations such as charities, clubs and associations. Taxable profits include profits from trading and capital gains, known as chargeable gains for the purpose of Corporation Tax. The completion of a Company Tax return can be complicated, especially as the due dates for payment and completion of the company tax return differ to self-assessment for individuals. Low cost accountants will prepare and file your tax return leaving you to concentrate on other areas of your business.

HMRC has Corporation Tax software which is suitable for companies whose affairs are not complex. It is also possible to file using commercially available software. Before being able to file online, you have to register to use the service, just as you would for individual self-assessment. It is then possible to submit your Company tax return and accounts online to HMRC and Companies House.

Missing the deadline for filing your Company tax return may result in your company receiving a penalty and a Revenue determination, which is an estimate, calculated by HMRC of what you owe. This ‘Notice to Pay’ has to be paid immediately if you are to avoid paying interest on late payments. An online accountancy will ensure that you meet relevant deadlines and pay the correct amount of tax without incurring penalties.

About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.