Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


A financial year is the 12-month time period that you use to report on your business’s financial performance. You might also hear it referred to as a fiscal year or an Accounting Reference Period.

When does a company’s financial year start and end?

Is my company’s financial year important?

Can I change my company’s financial year?

In its first year, your company’s financial year runs from the date on which the company was incorporated, until the end of the same month the following year- what’s known as the Accounting Reference Date or ‘Year End’.

An example financial year in a company’s first year

  • A company is incorporated on 17th March 2024. The financial year begins 17th March 2024, and finishes 31st March 2025
  • This means that the accounting reference date in this instance is 31st March 2025
  • In year two of the business, the financial year begins 1st April 2025, and finishes 31st March 2026

Limited companies are required to submit Company Tax Returns to tell HMRC about the profits they make during their financial year, as well as prepare accounts made up to the end of the financial year (or ‘Year End’), and then filed with Companies House.

The end of your financial year also indicates the deadline for submitting the company’s tax return and accounts, so it’s important you stay on top of it!

The financial year end isn’t all about HMRC, though. Accounts should be balanced and resolved on a regular basis throughout the year, with year-end being the final check that everything across the year balances as it should.

Limited company accountancy services

From only £54.50 per month

Learn more

You’re allowed to change your company’s financial year end to a more convenient date – as long as your accounts are not overdue. You can request the change by submitting an AA01 form to Companies House.

Changing your company’s financial year end also affects when your Corporation Tax bill is due to be paid, so it may be worth checking that the new dates don’t create other problems, such as cash flow issues when it’s time to pay your bill!

Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses. Call 020 3355 4047 to chat to the team, and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.