Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The amount you are taxed can be affected by your age in that personal tax allowances increase as you get older.

In 2011-12 the tax allowance for people less than 65 years of age is £7,475, meaning that you can earn up to this amount before you need to start paying tax.

However providing earnings are below £24,000, the allowance increases to £9,940 for those aged between 65-74, and £10,090 for people aged 75 and over. For those aged 65+ and earning over £24,000 the personal allowance will decrease by £1 for every £2 of income above £24,000.

For example, if Helen is 67 years old and earns £24,500, her earnings exceed the £24,000 age allowance income limit by £500. Therefore her personal tax allowance will be £250 less bringing it down to £9,690.

If you are unsure about anything explained here or would like a quotation please do not hesitate to phone or email us, or alternatively, you can simply use the live chat link available.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.