Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Tax Education

It’s time for school. We will teach you all you need to know about tax. Here you will find easy-to-understand blogs, bitesize information and facts about tax. No talking at the back!

Tax Information

What do you know about tax as a business?

If it isn't much, you're in the right place. From profits to losses and any allowable expenses in between, we’re here to simplify business tax.


Can you name the three main UK taxes?

Income Tax, National Insurance Contributions (NICs) and VAT (Value Added Tax). We’ll explain the key points you need to know about each of them.


Can you answer my tax related questions?

If you run a business in the UK, then yes! Take a look at the most frequently asked questions below, find a blog, or send us a message.


Tax Education

Do I need to pay tax on my side hustle?

Maybe! The Trading Allowance means you can earn up to £1,000 in a tax year from self-employment or property, and you won't need to pay tax on it, or even report it to HMRC. Just make sure that you keep good records to help you monitor your earnings. Learn more about the Trading Allowance.

Can I have more than one sole trader business?

Absolutely - just make sure you get enough sleep at night! Sole traders aren't legally separate from their business, so you won't need to register them all separately. List each business on your Self Assessment tax return with a separate section for each one. Find out more.

If I claim VAT back on pre-registration expenses, will I also pay VAT on invoices paid to me in the same period?

You may be able to claim back VAT you paid before registering (up to a point!). But you can't charge VAT on invoices until you register, so you won’t collect any VAT to pay on to HMRC. Just make sure you register in plenty of time.

If a company is owned 50/50, is it possible for one person to take dividends and the other to choose not to?

Yes, it is. Companies can issue different types of shares to help them be more flexible. For example, two shareholders could own the company equally, but only one is entitled to receive dividend payments or receives them at a lower rate.

I recently started earning money from creating digital content. How much can I earn before I pay tax and how do I claim expenses?

The Trading Allowance means you can earn up to £1,000 from self-employment in a tax year before you need to report it to HMRC, register as self-employed, or pay tax on it. If you do need to register then you can include your total expenses on your tax return. This amount will be deducted from your income, so you'll only pay tax on the profits. What type of tax return you need to submit depends on what sort of business structure you choose!

Learn more about choosing a business structure.

I'm a company director and planning to have a baby. What salary should I pay myself so I'm eligible for maternity pay?

As a director you’re actually entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) just like any other employee - as long as you meet the eligibility criteria. If you’re not eligible for SMP, you could instead claim Maternity Allowance.

Learn more about maternity pay for self-employed people.



UK Tax Rates, Thresholds and Allowances for Self-Employed People and Employers in 2024/25 and 2023/24

Read our guide to UK tax rates and thresholds for sole traders, limited companies, partners and partnerships, employers, and other businesses. UK…

Read More

Accountancy Terms Explained for Startups

Starting a business can be complicated enough, especially with all the new lingo that crops up along the way. In this article…

Read More

Does a Sole Trader Need to Register with Companies House?

There’s a lot to think about when setting up a business, whether you’re a sole trader or opening a limited company. As a…

Read More

What is the 40% Tax Bracket?

Pay rises, bonuses, getting new clients on board – they’re all incredibly exciting and you should take some time to celebrate each…

Read More

How Much Tax Will I Pay?

Tax is a really broad subject and there are all sorts of taxes out there. When most people come to us to…

Read More

The Employment Allowance and Employer’s National Insurance Contributions

The Employment Allowance is a type of relief available to some employers to help reduce the cost of their National Insurance contributions…

Read More
Load more...

Looking for help with tax for your business?

We want to demystify tax for businesses, owners, and casual side-hustle dabblers, by providing easy-to-understand guidance.

It all started when news reports and social media posts started using the phrase ‘side hustle tax’ to describe the new digital platform reporting rules. It led to months of confusion and panic.

But, guess what? There is no ‘side hustle tax’.

We helped journalists from major news sites explain what was happening and clear up the confusion, so now we’re on a mission to teach everyone about tax.

Learn more about tax

Do you have a tax question?

Let us help! Our online blogs and guides include a huge range of tax and business related topics, or you’re more than welcome to send us your questions. Tap the button below, and put ‘Tax Education’ as the subject line.

Ask The Accountant
Tax questions and answers

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.