Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Are you working as a creator, perhaps as an artist, musician, writer, game designer or even a podcaster? If so, it would be understandable if the last thing you want to think about is tax.

Unfortunately, let’s face it, tax is unavoidable, and a little thinking upfront could save you considerable stress, and money, later.

Tax for creators – where to start

Whether you’re a budding Picasso, Ed Sheeran, or Agatha Christie, as far as HMRC are concerned, you’re no different from a carpenter or plumber when it comes to paying tax. And, as such, some standard principles apply.

Are you trying to make money with your creative work?

Top of this list is whether or not you are trying to make money from what you do. In other words, do you have a profit motive? If you do, quite simply, you’re a business. This applies even if you have another full-time job doing something completely different, or if you’re making no profits from your venture.

Are there any exceptions?

The good news is that if the income from your creative work is relatively minor, you may be able to take advantage of the trading allowance. The trading allowance allows you to earn a hobby-based income of £1,000 per year which is exempt from tax.

It is important to note that income means revenue in this context, not profit.

If the money you get from all of your sole trader or hobby-based activities is less than £1,000 in a tax year, you do not need to register as a sole trader, complete a Self Assessment tax return, or make any formal claim for the trading allowance.

How many transactions do you make?

The second consideration is the number of transactions your enterprise makes. If your transactions indicate a one-off activity for which you were paid, this may suggest that you’re not trading.

However, if you seek to sell several items, or – as we shall see later via Patreon – to manage a fee-based system with your customers, that will indicate that you are operating as a business. More information on what HMRC call the badges of trade can be found on HMRC’s website.

As you’ll see, there is an awful lot of common sense involved. If it looks and feels like you’re doing business, the chances are that you’ll be considered as trading from a tax perspective.
online accountancy services for eCommerce businesses

Trading allowance and tax relief

We’re accountants, so we’re going to jam the brakes on here so we can point out that even if your income is above the trading allowance threshold, you can still use it to claim tax relief.

If your income – and remember, income, not profit – is higher than £1,000, you have an important choice to make.

Using the trading allowance versus claiming expenses

However, while this is nice and simple, it may not be in your best interests to do this. This is because HMRC’s rules allow you to deduct certain business expenses from your income.

Precisely what you claim depends on what your business does. The detailed expenses rules can be found on HMRC’s website, or use our guide for an overview.

Unfortunately, you can’t claim both the trading allowance and expenses.

You can either claim the £1,000 trading allowance or claim expenses, so you need to look at what works best for you.

So, taking our example above, imagine that you still made the £5,000 worth of sales. You also have £1,500 of expenses which, under HMRC rules, you find that you can claim against your revenue.

Rather than claiming the £1,000 trading allowance, you can claim £1,500 and reduce your taxable profit even more, which means you’ll pay less tax.

Taxable profit if you claim the £1,000 trading allowance Taxable profit if you claim tax relief on your £1,500 allowable expenses
Income £5,000 £5,000
Deductions £1,000 trading allowance £1,500 expenses
Income, minus your deductions, which leaves your taxable profit £4,000 £3,500


As an aside, it is imperative that you keep your business-related records up to date, with a process known as bookkeeping. Keep all your records safely and conveniently filed so that you have all the backup for your sales and expenses to hand when you do your tax return.

Make sure you keep them after you’ve submitted, too. You may well need them in the future to justify your numbers to HMRC! Plus, keeping great records will mean you claim for every possible allowable expense.

What if I don’t want to be a sole trader?

The most common alternative legal structure to trading as a sole trader is to establish a limited company. A limited company is a separate entity from its owner so it’s the company, rather than you as an individual, who is responsible for the business’s liabilities and debts.

This means that the profits also belong to the company, not to you. The principal benefit of this structure is if something goes wrong. Then, only the assets of the business are at risk rather than your personal wealth.

Not surprisingly, creating such a structure is a bit more expensive and involves more admin than setting up as a sole trader. Amongst other things, you will need to register your business with Companies House.


Read our article about setting up as a sole trader versus as a limited company to learn more.

Creative industry tax relief for limited companies

Being a limited company in the creative fields may have an added attraction when it comes to its tax treatment. If your business is in one of the following fields, you may be eligible for a special Creative Industries tax relief:

In 2019/20, £1.1 billion was claimed in such relief. If you think your business could benefit, contact HMRC directly.

Using Patreon to sell your creative work from the UK

If you’re working as a creator, you may well be familiar with the Patreon platform. It allows the creator to make their work accessible directly to their customers and fan base.

Better still, by using a membership or subscription model, it gives the creator a much more predictable revenue stream. Created back in 2013, Patreon now has over 200,000 active creators onboard.

Patreon divides its creators into ten different sectors: Podcasters, Video Creators, Musicians, Visual Artists, Communities, Writers and Journalists, Gaming Creators, Not-for-Profit, Tutorials and Education and Local Businesses.

The platform offers creators the chance to sell a more personalised experience such as:

How much should I charge for my work on Patreon?

One of the most common questions from anyone selling their own products or services is about what to charge. Know your worth! Research what other sellers charge, and factor in the effort that you put into production.

It’s also worth knowing what you’ll be charged by the platform for their hosting and handling fees. Patreon earns fees from you in two ways.

Things to consider when setting prices

Patreon and tax for UK creators

The first thing to get clear in your mind is this: your earnings from Patreon are taxable. The second thing you need to know is that Patreon will not help you when it comes to sorting out your tax. It is solely your responsibility!

If you sign up for Patreon in particular, you will find that you are confronted with a scary sounding W-8BEN form during the initial process. You have to complete this to be able to trade from the platform.

What is a W-8BEN form, and why do I need one on Patreon?

In short, it’s not as scary as it sounds, but it is worth understanding why you’re filling it in. You need to do this because Patreon is an American company registered for tax in the United States.

Under US rules, you would ordinarily need to withhold a proportion of the payments made by any of your US customers, in order to pay tax to the US tax authorities. However, don’t panic, fill in the form, and you won’t need to do this.

You won’t need to do this because the United States and the United Kingdom have a tax treaty in place. Put simply, by filling in the form, you are removing yourself from the clutches of the US tax authorities. So, just fill in the form, and you’ll only need to worry about your UK tax payments.

Tax return services

Claiming Patreon costs as expenses

Regarding UK tax, remember that if you’re deducting some expenses from the profit you’re declaring on your Self Assessment return, some Patreon costs may be allowable.

You may be able to offset the fees you pay to Patreon, and any currency conversion costs if you’ve been paid in foreign currencies against your taxable profit.

Again, make sure you keep your records neat and accessible. This will make filling in the return much simpler, and help you avoid the risk of incurring HMRC penalties for late or incorrect submissions.

A word on VAT for UK Patreon creators

If your taxable revenue reaches the VAT registration threshold, you must register for VAT. So, if at the end of any month, your annual turnover from the previous 12 months is more than the threshold, you must register for VAT.

You must also register if you think you will go over the registration threshold during the next 30 days of trading. Registration in this manner is known as compulsory registration.

You can also voluntarily register for VAT before reaching the threshold. It is then your choice whether you charge VAT and recover it on the items related to your business that you have purchased. What is essential is that you are registered before you charge VAT.

If you’re a creative and want help with any aspect of tax, feel free to give us a call and talk to one of the team on 020 3355 4047, or get an instant quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.