Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


For many people student life is a blast – but the financial hangover isn’t so much fun. University debts are higher than ever and making the repayments on student loans can be even scarier when you’re self-employed.

Small business owners, contractors and freelancers will need to confirm the details of their student loan on their Self Assessment tax return. If this applies to you, we’ve put together a quick guide about repaying your student loan when you’re self-employed.

Do I need to include my student loan on my Self Assessment?

Do I need to complete a Self Assessment tax return?

How much can I earn before I start repaying my student loan?

How and when do I send a Self Assessment tax return?

As well as making repayments towards your student loan through an employer, repayments can also be collected on self-employed income, even if it’s money you earn on the side. If you’re not expecting it, the extra amount on your tax bill can be a bit of a shock, so it’s worth being prepared!

Will I need to make a separate payment to the Student Loans Company?

No, once your submit your Self Assessment tax return any student loan repayments you owe as a result of it will be added to the final tax calculation. You’ll pay the whole amount to HMRC, and they’ll pass the part which relates to your loan on to the Student Loans Company who will update your records accordingly.

Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

Each tax year runs from 6th April until 5th April. You will need to complete a Self Assessment in order to declare your income if at any point during the tax year you were:

Who Needs to Complete a Self Assessment tax return?

Rather than being worked out on your combined income, student loan repayments only kick in on jobs which pay more than the repayment threshold. For example, if you have two jobs, and only one of them pays more than the threshold for your plan, you’ll only make repayments on income you earn above the threshold for that job, not both.

The thresholds are different depending on whether you’re on Plan 1, Plan 2, Plan 4, or Plan 5. Your student loan repayment plan depends on when you started your course, and where. Some people have more than one repayment plan – for example if you studied more than one course, or if you went on to Postgraduate study.

Plan 1

You’re on Plan 1 if you’re:

Plan 2

You’re on Plan 2 if you’re:

Plan 4

You’re on Plan 4 if you’re:

Plan 5

You’re on Plan 5 if you started your course on or after 1 August 2023 and the course is:

Repaying your student loan

The table shows how much you can earn (in a week, month, and tax year) according to each plan before starting to make student loan repayments. The amount you pay is a percentage of the income you earn above the threshold.

Which Plan You’re On Weekly Earnings Threshold Monthly Earnings Threshold Annual Earnings Threshold Repayment Rate on Earnings Above Threshold
Plan 1 £423 £1,834 £22,015 9%
Plan 2 £524 £2,274 £27,295 9%
Plan 4 £532 £2,305 £27,660 9%
Plan 5 £480 £2,083 £25,000 9%
Postgraduate Loan £403 £1,750 £21,000 6%

If you complete your Self Assessment tax return online, you’ll need to submit it and pay your bill by 31st January following the end of the tax year that the return covers, though you can submit your return much earlier than that!

For example, any tax that you owe for the 2022/23 tax year is due for payment by 31st January 2024. If your tax bill is more than £1,000 then you might also need to make an advance payment towards the following tax year, known as making a payment on account.

If you have any questions around self-employed tax issues, our team are here to help. Find out more about our online accounting services, call 020 3355 4047 for a chat, or get an instant quote online.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.