Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Most people don’t need to register for Self Assessment unless they’re self-employed, but there are exceptions.

Who needs to submit a Self Assessment if they’re not self-employed?

How do I register for Self Assessment if I’m not self-employed?

When should I register?

What happens after I register for Self Assessment?

HMRC need to know about any income you might earn to ensure you pay the right amount of tax. Not all earnings come from an employer or self-employed work though, so you might need to register for Self Assessment to tell HMRC about income from another source. This might be the case if you:

The process of registering for Self Assessment depends on whether you’re self-employed or not. If you’re not self-employed, you can either complete and submit a SA1 form by post, or register online (which tends to be a lot faster).

Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

If you didn’t send a tax return last year, you’ll need to register for Self Assessment by 5th October following the end of the tax year that you need to submit a return for. Your first tax return will then be due by 31st January the following calendar year if you submit online. The deadline is 31st October the same year if you submit a paper return.

HMRC will send you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). If you’re a company director, this UTR number will be different to the one you received for your limited company – so don’t mix them up!

You will also receive reminders when your tax return is due. If your situation changes and you no longer need to submit, you should let HMRC know as soon as possible.

When you first sign up for HMRC’s online services (which you’ll use to complete your Self Assessment tax return) you’ll receive an activation code. This can take a few weeks to arrive, so be sure to register in plenty of time to submit your return.

Learn more about how our online accountants can help you and your business. Call 020 3355 4047, or get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Martin Walby
Martin Walby
26th November 2012 5:44 pm

I note that in the “reasons why you may need a return” list it states “if you become a director of a company”. My understanding of the legislation is that it is not a mandatory requirement to inform HMRC when a person becomes a director of a company, providing of course none of the other items shown in the list are applicable. HMRC may however request that an SA1 is completed. In most circumstances, unless the person is a director of a company with whom he is not an employee, directors are paid through the payroll and subject to PAYE/NI… Read more »

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Employers Need to Know About Statutory Maternity Pay

There’s lots to think about as an employer, but one big thing you don’t want to fly under your radar is what…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.