Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Overpaying wages can happen for all sorts of reasons, from data entry errors, to confusing overtime or holiday pay arrangements. For the person on the receiving end, an accidental overpayment might feel like a lucky windfall. Sadly though, the reality is that it’s highly unlikely you can simply keep the money! Employers do have the legal right to recover money which has been mistakenly overpaid.

Let’s look at it from both sides.

If your employer overpays you

Employers tend to send out payslips before the actual pay date so they can correct any errors in advance. So, if you notice anything unusual in your payslip, it’s better to notify your employer as soon as possible.

In these days of automatic transfers, it’s rare for the money hitting your bank account to be different to your payslip. That said, it’s always a good idea to check that the two amounts match, just in case.

Again, if this does happen, let your employer know. The quicker you get that back to them, the less stress for you.

Of course, you might not notice a mistake until your employer writes to you, asking for the money back. They’re well within their rights to do so, even if you don’t work there anymore.


managed payroll services

If you overpay an employee

Making a mistake with someone’s pay is never ideal, especially if you don’t notice for a few months and it builds up. As an employer you’re legally entitled to recover accidental overpayments by deducting it from future payrolls. As you might imagine, a tactful and sympathetic approach to recovering the money is highly advisable.

You should write to your employee to let them know, and confirm the amount they must repay. It’s essential to put this in writing, even if they were the ones to point out the mistake. Be open to negotiating the repayment schedule, too.

Whilst you can make deductions from subsequent pay, being flexible means you’re more likely to recover the money without damaging your relationship.

Recovering overpaid wages from someone who has left

If you don’t discover an overpayment until after the employee has already left, recovering the money can be more problematic. The effort and cost of tracing that person might outweigh the actual amount you recover, for a start.

When deciding what action to take, consider how much time has passed, the amount overpaid, as well as the circumstances in which they left – they’re all factors which might influence you.

What if a repayment agreement can’t be reached?

An employer doesn’t actually need permission to deduct money from someone’s pay if it’s to recover an accidental overpayment of wages, though it’s definitely nicer all round to do it amicably.

Employees have the option of raising a grievance if they feel they’re being treated unfairly, or even taking legal action. Likewise, a former employer can use the civil courts to make a legal claim against a former employee for accidental pay.

Employers, don’t forget about HMRC

Employers send a Full Payment Submission (FPS) to HMRC every payday, to tell them the income and deductions figures for each employee. This information will need to be updated if an employer recovers an accidental overpayment by making deductions through payroll!

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.