Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


With HMRC, penalties may be charged for late filing or payment of any type of tax. You can also be charged for ‘failure to notify’ HMRC that you are liable to pay tax, usually when starting self-employment or receiving taxable income. The penalty system was overhauled in 2009 and penalties can be charged for various misdemeanours, like not informing HMRC that an assessment isn’t high enough or failing to complete a tax return accurately, thus leading to insufficient tax being paid. The penalties vary in severity, according to whether a mistake was deliberate or due to a lack of understanding. Knowing how penalties work may help you to avoid them in the first place.

Who is responsible for penalties?

Although an agent may be dealing with your tax affairs, you are still responsible for your own tax. If anything is incorrect or filed late, you will be charged a penalty.

What are the penalties charged for?

Penalties may be charged against a misdemeanour of any type of tax. One penalty with which most people in self-assessment are familiar is self-assessment penalty. This is charged for the late filing of a tax return and can certainly add up very quickly. If you have missed the filing deadline of 31st January, you are charged a £100 fixed penalty. Further daily penalties are charged at £10 per day until the tax return is three months late. The penalties, fixed and daily, continue to be added to the charges until the tax return has been filed.HMRC Advice

Failure to comply with Real Time Information as an employer also incurs penalties. Late submissions and payment of tax owed will incur charges. The penalty will be charged according to the number of employees a company has. A further penalty will be charged if an employer return remains outstanding after three months.

Penalties for errors

If an error is made on a tax return or other documentation that could lead to insufficient tax being charged, a penalty may be incurred. However, if it is deemed that you demonstrate ‘reasonable care’, you may not receive a penalty.

What is a ‘failure to notify’ penalty

If you receive a type of income liable to tax, you must inform HMRC that your liability has changed. For instance, you may start a business or start to receive untaxed interest, which could affect your tax position. If you don’t inform HMRC of any change affecting your tax liability, you could receive a penalty for ‘failure to notify’.



About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.