Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The employment status of an individual will affect their rights as an employee and the responsibilities an employer has.

Most people will be entitled to rights like the National Minimum Wage or paid sick leave and holidays. Someone who is self employed will not receive these benefits, although there are some advantages – especially in the case of a limited company. Deciding whether a person is employed or self employed can be complex, but there are indications set out by HMRC to make that decision and a tribunal or court will have the final say. Employment status is also used to deduct the right amount of tax and national insurance.

Status is based on facts and isn’t something that can be decided by either yourself or an employer. There are some facts that have to be considered before a status can be legally declared. A person may be an employee, a worker or self employed; a worker is different to an employee, as they are unlikely to be working under a contract, perhaps an agency worker or a casual worker. accountants

Are you self employed?

If you work when and where you like and choose the jobs that you do, you are likely to be self employed. As an individual of this status, you are likely to only be paid for the work you complete to a satisfactory standard and you won’t receive any pay for time off, either sick pay or holiday pay. You will also be expected to provide all your own tools for the job you are carrying out, although you will be free to hire someone else to do the job for you.

Are you employed?

If you are expected to attend a place of work on set days each week and work a certain number of hours each day, you are very likely to be employed. As an employed person, you will work for someone else and be told what work to do and when. Your pay will be a set amount, although you may receive bonuses. An employee will be paid for overtime too, unless they work flexible working hours.

What if you get employment status wrong?

If an employer fails to correctly identify an employee, they could be liable for the income tax and national insurance which should have been deducted from pay. In addition, not complying with the PAYE regulations could lead to prosecuted by HMRC. It is advisable to contact a professional if you are unsure of employment status.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.