Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Limited companies and some organisations such as associations, charities or clubs, must submit company tax returns to HMRC. The tax return is made using a CT600 form, so that the organisation pays the right amount of Corporation Tax.

Do I need to submit a CT600 Company Tax Return?

You’ll need to submit a CT600 to HMRC to file your company tax return, even if you don’t need to pay any Corporation Tax. This is because HMRC won’t know what you owe until they receive your tax return.

You might not need to pay Corporation Tax because the organisation is exempt, or your business made a loss. Watch our short video about Corporation Tax below!



Is a CT600 Company Tax Return the same as submitting accounts?

No, the company tax return and the company accounts are two separate things.

How do I submit my CT600 Company Tax Return?

You can complete and submit your CT600 company tax return online. You don’t have to do it yourself, and can ask an accountant to do it for you instead.


accounting services for limited companies

When do I need to submit my CT600 tax return?

The Company Tax return has to be submitted no later than 12 months following the end of the company accounting period. The deadline for submitting your return is also known as the statutory filing date.

The company will also need to submit the tax calculations, any supplementary pages and the company accounts as part of the return.

Corporation Tax is payable nine months and a day following the end of the accounting period.


You’ll need to keep your financial records for at least six years from the end of the accounting period, in case HMRC ask to see them.

Talk to an advisor about our online accounting services for limited companies (including Company Tax Returns) by calling 020 3355 4047, or using the Live Chat button.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.