Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If an error has been made when completing a self assessment tax return, it is possible to make a correction. If you don’t inform HM Revenue & Customs of an error and it is discovered by HMRC you may face large penalties.

You have 12 months following 31st January which immediately follows the end of the relevant tax year to send amendments to HMRC. For instance, an amendment for a 2010-11 tax return may be made before 31st January 2013. If you originally submitted a paper tax return, you only have to submit the page that contains the amendment. If you file online, it is simpler to make the amendment online.

An error discovered after the 12 months has lapsed should be made in writing to HMRC, giving details of the tax year concerned, the tax paid and documentary evidence. HMRC may want more details from you to ensure the information is correct. If a repayment of tax is due, HMRC will make the repayment either by payable order or directly into your bank account. If correction of the error results in more tax being due, HMRC will ask you to pay the outstanding amount as soon as possible.

If HMRC discover an error and decide that you took reasonable care when completing your tax return but made an error, you will not be charged a penalty. However, if HMRC consider you to have been careless, or made the error deliberately or tried to conceal the error, you will face a penalty.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.