An SH01 form is used to tell Companies House when new shares are allotted in a private limited company. This is also known as a “return of allotment of shares”.

Do I need to fill in an SH01 form?

You’ll only need to submit an SH01 form to report changes which take place after incorporation. This is because the process for incorporating a private limited company already deals with the division of shares and the appointment of shareholders.

You might have multiple reasons for allotting new shares, such as including family members in your business. It’s also a way to raise finance for a business. A private company limited by shares can issue new shares in exchange for investment from new shareholders.

When do I need to submit my SH01 form?

A SH01 Form needs to be filed to Companies House within a month of the shares being allotted. This ensures that Companies House always have an accurate record of your shareholder structure, and how company ownership is divided by shares.

What information is needed for a SH01 Form?

It’s a good idea to round up all the information you’ll need to fill in the form before you get started.

The SH01 Form generally require a list of information including:

You won’t need to include the new shareholders’ details in the SH01 Form, only the shares themselves. The shareholder information is included the next time you submit a confirmation statement. You can submit an early confirmation statement if new shareholders want to be recorded with Companies House sooner.

accounting services for limited companies

Allotting new shares to different share classes

A director usually has the power to allot new shares if the company has only one class of share. This is a simple case of coming to an agreement on the shares, and filling in the necessary paperwork.

However, if your company uses different classes of shares, things get a bit more complicated. A director can still create new shares, but will need to have permission to do so. Their permission will either be written as part of the articles of association, or it can be granted by a special resolution passed by the existing shareholders.

The articles of association and any existing shareholder agreements should also be checked before new shares can be issued. This is to check if existing shareholders have a right to new shares over a brand new shareholder.

We know that running a business can be confusing. Learn how our online accountants can help by calling 020 3355 4047, or get an instant quote for accountancy services online. 

About The Author

Liam Yapp

Marketing Executive and Part-Time Copywriter. If I'm not working on our next big marketing push, you'll probably find me outside, basking in the sun and walking the dog.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Expenses and Relief for Employees Working from Home

Working from home is commonplace for some businesses, and second nature for freelancers, sole traders and the self-employed. For some businesses though,…

Read More

What Does Coronavirus Mean for Salary Sacrifice?

Salary sacrifice agreements are made between an employer and employee to ‘sacrifice’ part of an employee’s salary in exchange for non-cash benefits….

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Georgina Sudderick

In the spotlight for our online accountancy this month is Georgina Sudderick! What is your job title? Accounts Senior What does your…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure