Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Most business expenses are allowable so you can claim them to reduce your tax bill. The expenses your business has might vary depending on the nature of the business. Though this is by no means an exhaustive list, it gives an overview of the most common types of expenses.

Claiming for vehicle expenses

The way that you claim expenses for vehicles in your business depends on what sort of structure your business operates as. There rules for sole traders and partnerships are different to those in place for limited companies.

Vehicle expenses for sole traders and partnerships

If you use a vehicle for work you can claim all costs relating to that vehicle. This includes insurance, road tax, fuel, vehicle lease/hire, vehicle wash and repairs.

As an alternative, you can record your business mileage and claim a set amount for each mile you travel. If you also use the vehicle for personal reasons, then you’ll need to be careful that you only claim for business journeys.



Vehicle expenses for limited companies

If the company has a commercial vehicle you can claim all costs of that vehicle including insurance, road tax, fuel, vehicle lease/ hire, vehicle wash and repairs. Alternatively business mileage can be recorded and you can claim a set amount per mile travelled.

If your vehicle is a car and used for personal and business use then it is normally better to own the vehicle personally and record the business mileage that you travel which will be charged to the company accordingly. By operating in this way you avoid a benefit in kind situation occurring which would result in personal tax being owed to HMRC.



What other allowable expenses can my business claim for?

The expenses that you can claim and offset against your tax don’t just stop at vehicles. Read our list of other types of allowable expense.

HP Interest

When paying for a vehicle or equipment on hire purchase you are able to claim the interest payable as an expense. Most people will leave this to their accountant to calculate.

Goods and materials

Goods or materials purchased by a business to sell or use are claimable.

Premises costs or use of your home as an office

If you have business premises you are able to claim the rent and rates as business expenditure. It is also acceptable for you to claim expenditure for the use of your home as an office if you work from home.

Repairs & renewals

This is for general repairs for your business and small renewals that would not be classed as capital expenditure.


Wages are the amounts that you have paid staff through PAYE. And yes, they’re an allowable expense!

Bank charges

These include business bank charges you may have incurred. If you are a sole trader and have a personal bank account you will be able to claim a proportion of these charges.

Telephone and internet costs

Landline, mobile phone and broadband provider costs. If you are a sole trader then you will be required to proportion your business and personal usage of your telephone and internet costs.

Postage and stationery

Business postage and stationery can be claimed as a business expense.


This is allowable whether it is advertising in a magazine, on a website or leaflet distribution.

Membership fees

Trade associations, membership bodies or networking fees.

Work clothing

You can only claim expenses for work clothing that is protective (such as safety boots) or some sort of uniform. As a general rule, if you would wear the clothing outside of work then it is not claimable. Our article explains work clothes expenses in more detail.


Tax return services


Training costs, CPD and study courses can be claimed for. However, you cannot usually claim for training costs in order to qualify for your profession.


If you work away from home occasionally then you can claim for your food etc. The rules around claiming subsistence can be quite complex so it would be worth asking your accountant for further clarification around this if you are unsure.

Professional fees

Accountancy fees, solicitors fees etc.

Business insurance

Payments made for liability insurance/professional indemnity insurance and most other types of business insurance are claimable.

Sundry expenses

Sundry expenses are small business expenses you may incur.

Capital expenditure

Larger items, such as a new vehicle or computer, are normally classed as capital expenditure. These items are considered assets which stay in your business and help it to operate. Their value will depreciate over time, and you can claim capital allowances for this accordingly.

If you incurred expenses before you started trading then you can include these expenses. If you introduce personal assets into the business, such as tools or a computer, these are dealt with at their market value on the date they were introduced.  You can usually estimate the value yourself, as long as it’s fair for the market and could realistically be sold at that price.

For further information about what business expenses you can claim, we have a video guide that can be found here. For help with your accounting needs, talk to one of our advisors on 020 3355 4047, or use the live chat button on your screen.

About The Author

Christopher Jones

Forensics graduate-turned copywriter and blogger. I love turning complex topics into easy to understand, yet engaging pieces of content.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.