Skip to main content
  • Who we help

    Our range of services are tailored to suit each business type

    If you're just starting out with a new business venture or if you already have an established business, we can help.

    Our accountants are very experienced in helping new businesses grow and also using their accounting expertise to help established organisations. We also have a history of working with contractors and freelancers, helping them through the year with business accounting and advice. Review some of our case studies here

    No matter the size of your business; an individual sole trader or a limited company with employees, we have an accounting service just for you.

  • What we help with

    For all your tax and accounting affairs, we have it covered.

    Let our accountants take care of your business accounting, giving you more time to concentrate on growing and running your business.

    We provide all of the services necessary to handle the accounting and taxation requirements for your business. Our accounting services include: Bookkeeping, Payroll, Tax Returns, VAT and Accounts Production. All the services you will ever need under one roof.

    We also provide unlimited business accounting support throughout the year, you will always have access to your dedicated accountant whenever you need it.

  • Newsletter sign up

    Get the latest info from us

Can a sole trader have employees?

Employ Staff as a Sole Trader

Starting a business as a sole trader is a simple process. Register with HM Revenue & Customs as soon as you start trading as a sole trader. As a sole trader, you have complete responsibility for your business and finances, which also means that you have full liability if your business fails. However, a sole trader doesn’t have to deal with Companies House and accounting is relatively simple.

Although as a sole trader you are in business by yourself, you can still employ others. If you hire an employee, you can hire someone as a full or part time worker or even on a casual basis. You don’t automatically have to register as an employer unless certain conditions apply. If your employee has another job, state pension or an occupational pension you must register as you will have to deduct tax. If you are paying your employee over the threshold for PAYE, or paying at or above the limit for National Insurance Lower Earnings, you will have to register as an employer. If you pay employee benefits, you must also register.

As an employer you will have to decide which type of payroll system to use. HMRC will send you a PAYE reference number on a letter which will provide a link to guidance. When operating PAYE you have specified obligations for filing forms and returns online in a timely manner. As a sole trader, dealing with the administration as a result of becoming an employer can be burdensome, which is why expert help is advised.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Watch our three minute video to learn more about us

AAT Logo ACCA Logo Direct Debit Logo ICPA Logo ICO Logo