Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The simple answer to this question is: yes. You are able to claim relief on Customs Duty and VAT if you’re importing capital goods.

What are capital goods?

If you decide to move a business to the UK from another country, you might want to bring your capital goods, too. These are the goods that are part of your business operations. They’re used to produce other goods, rather than being made available for sale to customers.

Am I eligible to claim for Customs Duty and VAT relief if I import capital goods?

As with most things in the world of business and finance though, there are some more complex levels of eligibility. There are also some do’s and don’ts before filing any claims.

Let’s start by covering who fits under the umbrella of eligibility for this kind of relief. Because it’s a complex area, we’ve put it in list form to make it easier to follow.

You are eligible to pay less Customs Duty and VAT if you are transferring a business to the UK that:

comprehensive vat returns service

The term liberal professions usually refers to professions which are regulated by a national or governing body. They typically require rather specialist training in order to operate in that profession, for instance:

What am I able to claim relief on?

If you are eligible, you will be able to benefit from relief on capital goods and equipment, including the following assets:

What am I NOT able to claim relief on?

VAT and Customs Duty relief isn’t available for:

Eligibility for Customs Duty relief

When it comes to Customs Duty, there are few more boxes that you will need to be able to tick in order to claim your relief. These requirements say that the eligible capital goods must:

The last two points do have some flexibility if there are extenuating circumstances which makes them impossible. If you think this might be the case for you, you can contact the National Imports Relief Unit.

VAT relief when importing capital goods

If you are looking to claim relief on import VAT, your business must also:

Learn more about VAT in the UK with our free guide.

VAT Guide

If you’d like online accounting support for your business, call us on 020 3355 4047 or request a free call back.

About The Author

Stephanie Whalley

Serial snacker, compulsive cocktail sipper and full time wordsmith with a penchant for alliteration, all things marketing and pineapple on pizza.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.