Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you overpay tax, you can apply for HMRC to send the repayment to a third party using an R38 postal form, or apply online. This is usually the case when clients want a tax repayment sent to their accountant or representing agent.

You’ll need to complete a separate form for each tax year that you’re claiming repayments for.

 Tax return services

Why do I need to submit an R38 form?

HMRC carry out a reconciliation process to check that all taxpayers have paid the correct amount of tax. The majority of people will have paid the correct amount of tax and rarely need to contact HMRC.

If you have paid too much tax and think you are eligible for a refund, you can submit an R38 form to request that HMRC look into the matter.

What happens if I overpay or underpay tax?

You’ll be able to claim a tax refund from HMRC if you pay too much tax. Underpaid tax can be collected through next year’s tax code, or collected through Self Assessment if that is an option.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.