Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Tax is fairly straight forward for the majority of taxpayers. An employer deals with tax deductions and payments, and even pensions in many cases these days. For the employer though, and business owners in general, tax can be more complicated and time consuming.

Appointing an agent, such as an accountant, often helps make businesses more tax efficient, as well as taking the stress out of HMRC compliance. To protect your data, HMRC will only deal with your appointed agent if you confirm that they have permission to do so. It’s known as authorising an agent.

Usually this can be managed by your agent, who will set up authorisation using HMRC’s online services, and you’ll just need to approve the request. If the online approval method can’t be used, you can authorise your agent with a paper form instead. The form that you use depends on which service you want to authorise your agent for.

Which paper authorisation form do I need for my agent?

Until authority is received, HMRC are only permitted to speak to you about your tax affairs. If a tax adviser has been given authority to act on your behalf, they will receive specific communication on your behalf which is dependent on the service they have received authorisation for.

A tax adviser or agent may receive a self-assessment statement, view statements online, see which returns have been submitted, and check payments made online, if they have been authorised for that particular service.

Tax return services

Is my authorised agent responsible for my tax?

Although you are giving permission for a tax agent or adviser to act on your behalf, you still retain full responsibility for your tax affairs and any dealings with HMRC. Yes, you have an agreement with your agent to make submissions correctly and on time, but should they fail to do so, any HMRC penalties will be issued to you, not your agent. So choosing a reliable, professional accountant is essential!

Can I have more than one tax agent at a time?

Occasionally, a taxpayer may have more than one agent or adviser acting on their behalf, such as for different services. In this case, HMRC will only send out communications ,like a Notice of Coding, to one agent. You must select one of the representatives to act as ‘lead’ agent and they will receive all communication. Take care when notifying HMRC of your tax agents and advisers so that they understand which one is to receive communications.

Talk to one of our advisors about our online accountancy services by calling 020 3355 4047, using the live chat button on screen, or get an instant quote with our online form.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.