Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you become a partner in a business partnership you’ll need to let HMRC know, using an SA401 form, so you can pay the right amount of tax on your share of any profits. The partnership itself must also register for Self Assessment.

The partnership must have a ‘nominated partner’ who is responsible for registering the business, and dealing with its tax affairs.

Who can be a partner?

The partners in the business can be other individuals, or entities such as another partnership or a limited company. Each individual will need to register separately for Self Assessment, and will receive their own Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number from HMRC, which will be different to the UTR for the partnership. So don’t mix them up!

What information will I need when I register as a partner?

The SA401 form that you complete will ask for the partnership’s details, as well as your own. If the partnership has already been registered then you should include the UTR number, as well as other information such as the business address. If you’re already registered for Self Assessment for another reason then you should also provide your original UTR number.

If you have an agent acting on your behalf, such as an accountant, complete a 64-8 form too. This authorises HMRC to deal with them, and share any relevant information. Remember, this only deals with the person acting for you. If the partnership also has as an agent, you’ll need to complete a separate 64-8 form.


Learn more about our online accounting services for partnerships and partners, or get an instant quote.

accounting services for partnerships

About The Author

Christopher Jones

Forensics graduate-turned copywriter and blogger. I love turning complex topics into easy to understand, yet engaging pieces of content.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.