Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Once a Self Assessment tax return has been submitted to HM Revenue & Customs, you will be sent a form SA302. This is a tax calculation and will show how much tax you owe HMRC, or how much tax you have overpaid.

The calculation is based on your tax return for that year, and the figures you have submitted. It is essential that you check the calculation carefully, to make sure all the figures are correct. Your tax What is a SA302 Form?bill will be based on these figures and will be sent out at a later date. If the figures shown on the SA302 are incorrect you need to inform HMRC immediately so they can issue an amended tax calculation.

You will only receive a tax calculation from HMRC if you have submitted a tax return asking HMRC to calculate your tax due, or if you have requested an amendment to your tax return. If you have submitted your tax return and calculated the tax due yourself, HMRC will issue a tax calculation if they don’t agree with your calculation.

The Self Assessment Statement is based on your tax calculation and will be sent to tell you how much tax you need to pay, or may inform you that you are owed some tax by HMRC. If the tax calculation on form SA302 is incorrect and results in a lower amount of tax being paid, you may be charged penalties at a later date. The SA302 will also tell you the date you must pay any outstanding amount by, and any payments on account to be made next year.

Still looking for answers? Why not ask one of our accountants a question for free! > Ask Here 



About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.