Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The AA02 form is used to submit accounts for a dormant limited company which has never traded to Companies House.

Why have a dormant company?

There are a number of reasons for having a dormant company which has never traded, though usually it’s to prevent another company from using the company name that you plan (or hope) to use in the future.

How long can a company remain dormant?

A limited company may remain dormant indefinitely, which is especially useful if the reason for doing so is to prevent another company using the name. You’ll still be required to file some paperwork though, and there are costs involved in that. The company will need to decide how any expenses will be paid for, and who is responsible for filing the necessary documents.
accounting services for limited companies

How do I form a dormant company?

Technically you don’t form a dormant company as such, but form a limited company as normal and then don’t commence trading. As long as a company doesn’t buy or sell goods or services or otherwise trade, it is dormant.

What are my responsibilities for a dormant company?

You’ll need to tell HMRC that the company is dormant by completing and submitting a CT41G form. If it becomes active or begins trading then you’ll need to let HMRC know within three months.

Whilst the company is dormant you won’t need to submit a Company Tax Return or pay Corporation Tax, but you will need to submit annual accounts and a confirmation statement to Companies House, using the AA02 form. You can file your dormant accounts using AA02 either online or by sending a paper copy, and though the company may be dormant, you’re still required to file on time to avoid a penalty!

Ask us for an instant quote online, or talk to an advisor about our accountancy services for limited companies by calling 020 3355 4047.

About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.