Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


If you received financial support through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme grant, you will need to include it in your Self Assessment tax return.

What is SEISS?

SEISS, or the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme formed part of the support package for businesses suffering during the coronavirus pandemic. The scheme was launched by the Government on 13th May 2020. The first grant provided self-employed workers a grant of 80% of their profits up to a maximum amount of £2,500 a month, covering from March to May 2020. Subsequent versions of the scheme awarded varying levels of financial support to struggling sole traders.

Why do I need to include SEISS in my tax return?

The Self-Employment Income Support Scheme basically sets out to replace lost income and as such, it’s taxable in the same way that your regular income would be. This means that you’ll need to include it on your Self Assessment tax return, so that you can pay the right amount of income tax and National Insurance on it.

The amount of grant that you receive will be included in your tax calculation, so you must show it on your Self Assessment tax return.


accounting services for sole traders

Which tax return should I include my SEISS payment in?

Although you receive each grant as a single payment, the grants actually span three month periods at a time. You should include any SEISS payments in the Self Assessment tax return which covers the time period that your grant payment covers.

For instance, the third grant covered November 2020, December 2020, and January 2021. This time period falls into the 2020-21 tax year, so you’ll need to include it in your 2020-21 Self Assessment tax return, which is due by 31st January 2022.

How much tax and NI will I have to pay on my SEISS grant?

The amount of tax and National Insurance you have to pay on your income depends on how much you earn. This is because of the way that different income thresholds and tax allowances affect the way your bill is calculated. Read our article about income tax and national insurance for the self-employed to learn more.

Talk to one of the team to find out how we can help with online accounting services. Call 020 3355 4047, or get an instant quote online for low monthly fees

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Maternity Pay for Self-Employed People

Being self-employed can offer the kind of freedom and flexibility many of us dream about. But if you’re looking to start or…

Read More

What are Payments on Account?

Payments on account are a type of advance payment that you might need to make towards your Self Assessment tax bill. In…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Aaron Parkinson, Semi-Senior Accountant

This month we spoke to Aaron Parkinson, Semi-Senior Accountant at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.