Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Use a VAT1 form to register for VAT.

Who should complete a VAT1 form?

Any business selling goods or services subject to Value Added Tax (VAT) can register for VAT. It becomes mandatory to register for VAT if your turnover exceeds the threshold in the previous 12 month period.

You can also register voluntarily, which can be useful for some businesses. Even if you choose to register before you need to, you will still have the same obligations as anyone else who registers for VAT.

How do I register for VAT?

You can either register for VAT online, or complete and submit a VAT1 form.

Registering online tends to be faster, and provides on-screen help whilst you complete the form. You’ll also receive instant confirmation that HMRC have your application.


comprehensive vat returns service

Will I get in trouble if I don’t register for VAT?

If you exceed the turnover threshold in the previous 12 months of trading (or you expect to exceed it within the next 30 days), then you must register for VAT. Failing to do usually results in having to pay penalties on top of the VAT which is due.

Find out how our team of online accountants can help you with VAT by calling 020 3355 4047, or using the Live Chat button on screen.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!).

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Confirmation Statement?

The UK government introduced confirmation statements as a replacement for the rather clunky annual return AR01 form in June 2016. The confirmation…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Daniel Ryan, Sales Executive

Our staff spotlight this month is Daniel Ryan! He explains his role as a Sales Executive here at The Accountancy Partnership. What…

Read More

What is Business Asset Disposal Relief (BADR) and Can I Use It?

Business Asset Disposal Relief is a type of tax relief which reduces the amount of Capital Gains Tax due after disposing of…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.