Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Good news! You may still be able to claim back VAT for a period of time, even after you deregister for VAT.

What can I reclaim after deregistering for VAT?

How much time do I have to claim VAT after deregistering?

Reclaiming VAT you pay on purchases

Reclaim VAT paid on services

Claim VAT relief on debts identified after deregistering for VAT

How do I claim back VAT after cancelling my registration?

If you cancel your VAT registration you might still be able to claim relief for VAT incurred whilst registered:

The deadline for making a VAT claim after cancelling your registration depends on whether you’re claiming for goods, services, or to recover VAT that you charged on a sale but the customer didn’t pay their bill.

What you claim Deadline to claim
The VAT you paid when buying goods Maximum 4 years from the date of the return
The VAT you paid on services Maximum 4 years from the date the VAT was incurred
VAT relief on customer debts Maximum 4 years and 6 months

You can reclaim the VAT which you paid on eligible purchases whilst you were VAT registered, as long as you haven’t already claimed it on a previous VAT return. The claim can be made up to a maximum of 4 years following the VAT return which covered the time period the purchase relates to.

You can reclaim the VAT that you paid on services (but not goods) which were supplied after cancelling your VAT registration, as long as they relate to your taxable activities. Solicitor’s fees are a good example of this. You can make a claim up to a maximum of 4 years from the date that the VAT was incurred.

Comprehensive VAT return service

From only £40.00 per month

Learn more

There might be times that you account for VAT on a sale, but don’t actually receive any payment from the customer. If you reach a point where you need to write the amount off as a bad debt, you can normally claim relief on the VAT that you paid to HMRC from the sale, and in some cases you can do this even after cancelling your VAT registration.

You can claim VAT relief on a sale that you identify as a bad debt up to a maximum of 4 years and 6 months from the date the relief became claimable. It’s worth noting that if the debt ends up being paid at a later date, you will need to pay the VAT back to HMRC!

Once you deregister for VAT and make your final VAT submission, you can reclaim or claim VAT relief using a VAT427 form.
Learn more about our online accountancy services. Call the team on 020 3355 4047 get an instant quote online.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.