Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


If you live or work in Scotland then you may need to pay tax on your earnings using the Scottish Income Tax rates.

Do I need to pay Scottish Income Tax?

You’ll normally only pay the Scottish rate of Income Tax if your main home is in Scotland. This is normally the place where you spend most of your time, but it could also be where most of your possessions are, or where your family live.

What happens if I move?

You might need to pay Scottish Income Tax if you move to or from Scotland during the tax year, but this is where you spend the majority of the year.

Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

What are the 2023/24 and 2024/25 Scottish tax rate thresholds?

Taxpayers in Scotland pay Income Tax at a different rate, and on the basis of different thresholds, to taxpayers in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Some rates and thresholds of Scottish Income Tax changed for the 2023/24 tax year and again in 2024/25. This includes the introduction of a new ‘Advanced rate’ tax band.

Tax Rate 2023/24
Tax Band Thresholds
Tax Band Thresholds
Personal allowance £0 – £12,570
No tax
£0 – £12,570
No tax
Starter rate £12,571 – £14,732
19% tax
£12,571 - £14,876
19% tax
Basic rate £14,733 – £25,688
20% tax
£14,877 - £26,561
20% tax
Intermediate rate £25,689 – £43,662
21% tax
£26,562 -£43,662
Higher rate £43,663 – £125,140
42% tax
£43,663 - £75,000
Advanced rate
Not in use
£75,001 - £125,140
Top rate Over £125,140
47% tax
Over £125,140

How much tax will I pay as a Scottish taxpayer?

If your earnings go above a particular tax threshold, it doesn’t mean that you’ll pay that rate of tax on all of your earnings. You only pay that rate of tax on the part of your income that falls into that particular tax band.

For example

Let’s use the example of someone who lives in Scotland, and earns an income of £100,000 in the 2024/25 tax year. This could be from a salary, self-employment, or a combination of the two.

  • 0% tax on the first £12,570
  • 19% on the proportion of your income subject to the starter rate (which covers £12,571 - £14,876)
  • 20% basic rate tax on the part of your income which falls into the next tax bracket (£14,877 - £26,561)
  • 21% tax on the part of your salary which falls into the intermediate tax band (which is £26,562 -£43,662)
  • 42% higher rate income tax on the next chunk (£43,663 - £75,000)
  • 45% advanced tax on income above £75,000 up your total salary of £100,000

Does Scotland use a different rate of National Insurance?

No, any National Insurance contributions you make will be at the same rate as in the rest of the UK – only the Income Tax rates are different.

Will I pay a different rate of Dividend Tax?

No, the Dividend Tax rate is the same in Scotland as in other parts of the UK. Just be aware that you’ll need to work out the tax you owe on dividends using the UK tax rates and thresholds.

What if I travel for work?

If you have a home elsewhere in the UK but regularly travel for work or have another home in Scotland, you’ll need to work out which one is classed as your main home.

How do I pay it?

If you work for an employer, they’ll use your tax code to make sure they deduct tax at the correct rate. Your tax code will start with an ‘S’, which tells them to use the Scottish rate. For instance, the tax code S1257L tells your employer to deduct tax using Scottish Income Tax rates, and that you have a Personal Allowance of £12,570.

If you submit a Self Assessment tax return, there’s space for you to tell HMRC that you need to pay Income Tax using the Scottish rates. You’ll still be entitled to the same tax allowances as any other taxpayer elsewhere in the UK.

Tax is an incredibly complex subject, so it’s easy to get confused. Learn more about our online accountancy services and call 020 3355 4047, or get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Claiming R&D Tax Relief for Businesses

Limited companies involved in research and development (R&D) activities may be able to claim different types of tax relief against their Corporation…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

How Do I Reduce Tax on My Holiday Let Rental?

Owning a holiday let can be expensive, especially when it comes to keeping the place looking fresh, clean and modern. And then…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.