Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you’re starting up as a sole trader then there are some core rules and responsibilities that are essential to know before you begin trading. This simple explanation will guide you through everything you need to know and introduce you to the world of sole traders, as well as our short video below!


How to register as a sole trader with HMRC

The first (and most important) thing to do is register as self-employed with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You can register online.

When to register

At the latest, you should register as self-employed within three months from the date you start trading. HMRC may issue penalties to those who don’t register on time, so avoid the added stress!

instant quotes for online accountancy

Submitting Self Assessment tax returns

Currently sole traders must complete a Self Assessment tax return on an annual basis (although this is set to change). Make sure you’re set for your next Self Assessment with this checklist.

The Self Assessment deadline is January 31st following the end of the tax year that you need to submit a return for. If you have an accountant it’s well worth getting your records in to them well in advance! January gets incredibly busy and the more time they have to look at your records, the more time they have to help you save money and deal with any issues.

Check out our Tax Rates article for more information.


Common questions from new sole traders

Any new business owner will have stacks of questions, which is understandable – you’ve never done this before!

Should I Register for VAT?

Yep, even sole traders must register for VAT once your taxable turnover crosses the VAT registration threshold.

As a sole trader you’re not legally separate from your business. This is important, because it means that your taxable turnover is based on the total that you earn from all of your sole trader businesses combined (if you have more than one). You might also decide to make a voluntary VAT registration.

accounting services for sole traders

Can I employ staff?

You can employ staff, but you’ll still be ultimately responsible for the business no matter what job you give them. There’s no legal separation between you and the business if you’re a sole trader!

Check out our New Employer’s Guide for more information.

Will my personal finance be affected?

Yup, once more, sole traders aren’t legally separate from the business so if it owes money and can’t pay, this comes from your personal funds!

Do I need an accountant?

Sole traders are busy people and you might not have time to cover all the ins and outs of accounting – even if you’re managing to keep up with your own bookkeeping. Hiring an accountant will give you the chance to focus on what you really need to, safe in the knowledge that your accounts are being taken care of.

Talk to one of the team about our online accounting services for sole traders by calling 020 3355 4047, or grab an instant quote online.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.