Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Putting money aside into a pension pot (or multiple pension pots) is a great way to plan and save for the future. Most people in regular employment are automatically enrolled into a pension scheme by their employer, with their contributions managed for them. If you’re self-employed then the idea of setting up a private pension can seem a bit more daunting, because you’ll need to manage more of the process yourself.

Our Beginner’s Guide to Self-Employed Pensions explains the different types available. In this article we’ll answer some of the most frequently asked questions about showing your private pension payments on your tax return:

No, reporting any payments you make into a private pension isn’t compulsory, but you might find it beneficial. If you submit a Self Assessment tax return, then including the details of any contributions you make into a private pension scheme might mean that you’re able to claim more tax relief.

Employees have the benefit of additional pension contributions from their employer, but as a self-employed person you don’t have that same luxury. To make up for it, the government decided to step in by providing tax relief on the contributions you pay into a personal pension.

Pension contribution tax relief

Many pension providers will claim 20% in tax relief on your behalf every time you deposit a payment into your private pension pot. This is known as ‘relief at source’ and will be paid into your pension fund by the government.

If your pension scheme isn’t set up for automatic tax relief, or if you’re a higher earner paying more than the basic rate of tax, you could be claiming back up to a further 25% in pension contribution tax relief through your Self Assessment, or up to 26% if you’re a Scottish taxpayer.

The Annual Allowance means you can make up to £60,000 of contributions into a personal pension scheme before you need to start paying tax on them.


Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

Tax relief on pension contributions in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland:

Tax relief on pension contributions in Scotland:

  • 1% on income you pay the basic 21% tax on
  • 21% on income you pay 41% tax on
  • 26% on income you pay 46% tax on

This can only happen if you report your pension contributions on your tax return. If you don’t declare your pension payments, HMRC won’t know to give you any tax relief on them.

You’ll only be able to claim tax relief for contributions if your pension scheme is HMRC-registered.

Your Self Assessment tax return will include a heading which deals with ‘tax reliefs’. Find the section that says ‘payments to registered pension schemes where basic-rate tax relief will be claimed by your pension provider’.

Your pension provider will normally send an annual statement, and you can use this information to enter the value of your pension contributions so HMRC can work out how much tax relief you are entitled to.

Learn more about our online accounting services for self-employed people. Speak to one of the team on 020 3355 4047, or get an instant quote online.

About The Author

Stephanie Whalley

Serial snacker, compulsive cocktail sipper and full time wordsmith with a penchant for alliteration, all things marketing and pineapple on pizza.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What is a CIS Statement?

Back in the day (when tax returns were done through the post!), HMRC decided to clamp down on the construction industry. They…

Read More

Do Influencers Pay Tax?

The occupation of ‘influencer’ is more popular than ever, but there isn’t much information out there on how to pay taxes if…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.