Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Whether or not you can claim food can become complex and is usually based on different circumstances such as what type of business entity you have and where you are working. However, as a general rule you should not claim for your general living expenses, only food expenses that you have incurred as a result of not being able to get home to eat should be claimed.

Despite popular belief, it is necessary to keep receipts to back up your food purchases. The belief that a certain ‘no quibble’ amount is allowed stems from the fact that certain umbrella companies have acquired a ‘dispensation from HMRC. This is basically an agreement with HMRC that a set allowance can be used to reduce administration headaches. For everyone else, receipts are required.

If you travel to a ‘temporary place of work’ for more than 24 months then this is no longer considered temporary. 

The diagram below is a rough guide as to whether or not you can claim for food

travel food and drink expenses – An infographic by the team at The Accountancy Partnership

Embed travel food and drink expenses on Your Site: Copy and Paste the Code Below

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.