Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Although many people are employed and pay the correct amount of tax through the PAYE system, there are some people who fulfil specified criteria for self assessment. There are many reasons why a person may need to complete a self assessment tax return, including being self employed, or receiving income above a certain level. There are various types of tax return, which is dependent on the income category.

Directors and individuals

You may need to complete a tax return if you are a director of a company, pay tax at the higher rate, or if your tax Tax Returnsaffairs are complex. If you decide to fill in and submit your return online, you will have an extra three months to complete the form, and it can easily be tailored to meet your individual requirements. You may be able to complete a short tax return, which is called a SA200, but HMRC will usually inform you if this is the case. All others will have to complete a form SA100, which is where you will provide personal details and basic income information. You may need supplementary pages to declare all income and claim any expenses, tax reliefs, or allowances.

Self employed

If you are self employed, you will still have to complete form SA100, but you will also be expected to complete another form that is dependent on your level of turnover. If you have turnover below £79,000, you will have to complete form SA103S, and if your turnover is above this amount, you will complete form SA103F.


If you are in a partnership, you will fill in the form SA100 with your own tax affairs. Supplementary document SA104 will be required to provide details of the partnership, while every partner will be asked to complete the form SA800, which outlines the details of income and any losses. The nominated partner is usually responsible for the completion of the main partnership return. However, any interest or penalties incurred as a result of the tax return being filed late will be the responsibility of each partner.

The trustee

If you are a trustee, you will be asked to complete a tax return by HMRC. You will complete form SA900 each year, as long as the trust remains in existence. You may have to complete other pages in addition, depending on the type of income you receive. You may have to complete supplementary pages for any rents received from property and land, or report gains or income from overseas on foreign income pages.

If you are not sure whether you need to complete a tax return, seek professional advice.


About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.