Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


An SH01 form is used to tell Companies House when new shares are allotted in a private limited company. This is also known as a ‘return of allotment of shares’ form.

Do I need to fill in an SH01 form?

A limited company normally allocates shares and appoints shareholders during the incorporation (formation) process, but if anything changes at a later date you’ll need to complete an SH01 form to report this.

You might have multiple reasons for allotting new shares, such as including family members in your business, or issuing new shares in exchange for investment from shareholders

Limited company accountancy services

From only £54.50 per month

Learn more

When do I need to submit my SH01 form?

You must submit an SH01 form to Companies House within one month of the new shares being allotted. This ensures that Companies House always have an accurate record of your shareholder structure, and how the company ownership is divided by shares.

What information is needed for a SH01 Form?

It’s a good idea to round up all the information you’ll need to fill in the form before you get started. The SH01 Form generally requires:

  • Company name
  • Your company registration number
  • Type of shares allotted
  • Date of allotment
  • The currency of the shares e.g., GBP or Euros
  • Number of shares
  • The nominal value of shares
  • Amounts paid or unpaid per share
  • An updated statement of capital

You won’t need to include the new shareholders’ details in the SH01 Form, only information about the shares themselves, but you will need to include the new shareholders’ information next time you submit a confirmation statement (or you can submit an early confirmation statement if the new shareholders want to be recorded with Companies House sooner).

Allotting new shares to different share classes

Companies sometimes use a variety of share classes so they can be flexible with what different shareholders are entitled to. For example, if the company wants to pay dividends at different rates, or restrict a shareholder’s ability to vote on major decisions.

It’s important for the company to keep track of who is entitled to what, so you’ll need to record everything in the company’s articles of association.

We know that running a business can be confusing. Learn how our online accountants can help by calling 020 3355 4047 and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Dean Salmon

I'm an AAT and ACA qualified Chartered Accountant with over 13 years experience working with businesses, contractors and sole traders. I also love watching live music, and quizzes! Learn more about Dean.

More posts by this author
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Liam Yapp
Liam Yapp
17th August 2020 2:24 pm

Nice article!

Read more posts...

Maternity Pay for Self-Employed People

Being self-employed can offer the kind of freedom and flexibility many of us dream about. But if you’re looking to start or…

Read More

What are Payments on Account?

Payments on account are a type of advance payment that you might need to make towards your Self Assessment tax bill. In…

Read More

Tax and VAT for Online Dropshippers

Selling online through your own website or on an ecommerce platform can be a great way to launch a business, or just…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.