A guide to Self Assessment

If you work for an employer, then they usually deduct income tax and NI straight from your wages. But, if, for example, you’re self-employed, you won’t have an employer to do this for you! Instead, you will need to submit a Self Assessment tax return to HMRC. This tells them how much you have earned, so they can calculate what you owe.

Self Assessment isn’t just for the self-employed. If you’re the director of a limited company, a partner in a business partnership, or earn over the threshold for employed or investment income, you will also need to submit a return.

Learn more about Self Assessment, who must register (and how), plus other requirements.