Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you are asked to complete a Self Assessment tax return annually, or if you request a tax return from HMRC, you will be sent the main tax return for completion. It isn’t possible for all income to be covered on the tax return so various pages are available which cover different types of income. Form SA102 is one of those pages and is used to declare earnings from employment or as a director.

One form SA102 is used for each employment or directorship, with details of income and deductions required for each one. All employments, whether a UK or foreign employment should be declared using form SA102. The term ‘employments’ covers directorships, employments-full and part time, agency work and moneyoffices. If you hold an office, you don’t need to complete a form SA102 if you only receive a reimbursement of expenses. This can be declared on the form SA100 under ‘any other information’.

All income that would be received through employment should be declared on an employment page. There are a large number of different types of income, but the most typical include salary or wages, commission or tips and gratuities, sick pay, statutory maternity or paternity pay, payments made while working for an agency.

Providing all relevant information of any employment income or any of the other incomes listed will allow HMRC to calculate the correct amount of tax to be deducted. Giving the dates that you started or ceased employments, and the dates that other types of income were received will ensure that you are taxed under the correct tax year.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.