Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


The CWF1 form is used to register or re-register with HMRC as a sole trader. You can also register online.

When should I submit my CWF1 form?

If you need to tell HMRC that you’re self-employed using a CWF1 Form, the deadline is 5th October in your second tax year. Make sure you register in enough time to submit your Self Assessment tax return to minimise the risk of receiving a penalty for late registration.

What’s the difference between a CWF1 Form and a SA1 Form?

Submitting a SA1 Form signs you up for Self Assessment, but there are lots of different reasons why you might need to register. A CWF1 Form confirms to HMRC that you’re setting up your own business.

Sole Trader accountancy services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

What do I need to include on a CWF1 form?

The form will ask you for your personal details, National Insurance number, and the nature of your self-employed business. This includes the business name you plan to trade under, and the address where the business will operate.

What happens after I submit a CWF1 form?

HMRC will issue you with a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number, which you’ll need each time you submit a tax return.

As a self-employed person you’ll need to maintain good bookkeeping records which show how much money your business earns and what it spends. This information will help you complete your tax returns more easily, and make sure that you claim tax relief for any allowable expenses!

Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses. Call 020 3355 4047 to chat to the team, and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Staff Spotlight: Lauren Goodfellow, Admin Junior

This month we spoke to Lauren Goodfellow, Admin Junior at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Alina Ciorobitca, Payroll Clerk

This month we spoke to Alina Ciorobitca, Payroll Clerk at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.