Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The 64-8 form authorises HMRC to discuss your tax affairs with someone acting on your behalf.

Why do I need a 64-8 form?

Running a business can be time consuming even without HMRC and other legal requirements. It’s why many people find it easier to outsource to an accountant to deal with HMRC on their behalf.

Data protection and GDPR laws mean that HMRC can’t discuss your affairs with someone else without your permission.

Will I still be responsible for everything?

Even if you authorise your accountant to talk to HMRC on your behalf, your accounts and finances are still your responsibility.

Who can use a 64-8 form?

You can use form 64-8 to authorise HMRC to deal with agent acting on behalf if you’re an individual, trust or partnership. They will be able to deal with Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) and Corporation Tax on your behalf. The 64-8 form has boxes to tick for each category to indicate which of your tax affairs can be dealt with by your agent or accountant.

instant quotes for online accountancy

What about in a partnership?

Each partner is partnership must complete their own 64-8 to authorise their agent or accountant. The main partnership itself will also need to provide it’s own 64-8.

What if I have more than one agent acting on my behalf?

You’ll also need to complete separate 64-8 forms for each agent who represents you, if there are more than one. The services that each agent deals with must be made clear on the form.

Talk to us about our online accounting services, and how we can act on your behalf. Call 020 3355 4047, or use the live chat button screen. You can also get an instant quote with our online form.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Staff Spotlight: Erin Harley, Senior Accountant

This month, our Staff Spotlight shines on one of our senior accountants, Erin Harley. Erin explains her role at The Accountancy Partnership…

Read More

What Do Small Business Owners Really Know about Expenses?

Business owners almost always incur costs during the course of their work. Although most business expenditure is allowable, which means it is…

Read More

Tax and VAT for Online Dropshippers

Selling online through your own website or on an ecommerce platform can be a great way to launch a business, or just…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.