Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Sales of electric and hybrid cars continue to increase as an eco-friendly alternative to large petrol and (soon to be phased out) diesel engines. Their popularity saw HMRC introduce mileage reimbursement rates for hybrid and electric vehicles in 2018. Find out more about the benefits and mileage rates for electric vehicles.

Can I get a grant to buy an electric vehicle for my business?

Can I claim mileage expenses for an electric or hybrid car?

Are there business grants for electric vehicle charging points?

There are grants available for some types of new (not used) electric vehicle, although these are mostly restricted to vans, motorcycles, and wheelchair accessible vehicles.

Rather than applying for the grant separately, the seller will automatically include the discount in the price. Check the full list of vehicles eligible for the plug-in grant.

Online accountancy services

Get a quote and see how much you could be saving!

Get an instant quote

The increase in electric cars on the road means that HMRC do now offer mileage expenses for business travel in an electric vehicle, though different rules apply depending on who owns it.

Mileage rates for employees using a company car

Employees who drive a company car are paid mileage based on the size and type of engine in the vehicle.

Do employees pay tax if they use a company car?

Employees who use a company car may be liable to pay tax on the value of the ‘benefit’ that they’re receiving. Benefits in Kind can be quite complicated, but will normally mean that:

If you’re the owner and director of a limited company these extra charges might mean that owning the vehicle through the business is less tax efficient (unless it’s an electric vehicle).

Learn more about Benefits in Kind.

Business mileage rates using a personal car

If you use a personal vehicle for business or your employees use their own car for your business, the mileage rates are a bit different. This is because the expenses don’t just cover fuel, they also cover the cost of running the vehicle too.

These are known as Mileage Allowance Payments. The rates are based on the type of vehicle which is used, and how many miles per year are travelled. You might also find it useful to learn more about simplified expenses if you work from home!

Yes, eligible businesses, charities, and public sector bodies can apply to the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) for help with the initial costs of buying and installing electric vehicle charging points.

How much can I get?

The Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) grant will cover up to 75% of the total costs of the buying and installing charging points for electric vehicles (inclusive of VAT), up to a maximum of:

Am I eligible for a vehicle charging point grant?

The Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) is only available to registered businesses, charities, and public sector organisations located in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Unfortunately, applicants in the Channel Islands and Isle of Man are not eligible.

You’ll need to prove that you have dedicated off-street parking available for staff or vehicles in your fleet, either on your premises or reasonably nearby. If you don’t own the property, you’ll also need to show the landlord consents to having charging points installed. Each site must:

You might also be able to apply for the grant if you’re a small accommodation business. These are categorised as having 249 employees or less, and with a Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code of:

There are restrictions on how much public support you can access over a period of time. If you make an application to the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS), you’ll need to declare that your organisation has received less than €200,000 of public support in the last 3 financial years (your current financial year plus the two financial years before it).

The business must also satisfy the state aid requirements for de minimis aid, which is split into four sectors:

Sector De minimis state aid threshold over 3 years
Agriculture products €20,000
Fisheries and aquaculture €30,000
Road freight transport €100,000
Industrial / other €200,000

How do I apply?

You can apply to the Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) using the online form . The grant is voucher-based, so successful applicants will be given a unique voucher code to pass on to installer (who must be authorised by the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles).

Your new charging point must be installed and the voucher claimed within 6 months of the voucher’s issue date for the claim to be paid!

You’ll need to support your application with either:

Learn more about our online accounting services for businesses. Call 020 3355 4047 to chat to the team, and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Staff Spotlight: Charlotte Hughes, Accounts Junior

This month we spoke to Charlotte Hughes, Accounts Junior at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Rebecca Boyd, Accounts Junior

This month we spoke to Rebecca Boyd, Accounts Junior at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More

February 2024 Client of the Month: CHERESHNIVSKA

This month we spoke to Iryna, CEO and Founder of CHERESHNIVSKA!  CHERESHNIVSKA | Instagram | Facebook Hey Iryna! Tell us about your business CHERESHNIVSKA…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.