Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


If you set up a company or organisation which is liable to pay Corporation Tax, it is important to inform HMRC. If your organisation is a club, society, or similar, you should use a CT41G form to tell them. This is so that the organisation pays the right amount of tax.

What do I need to tell them?

HMRC need to know that a company or organisation has become ‘active’. That is, receiving income, trading or conducting business. You must inform HMRC within three months of the business activity starting.


A limited company has to be registered at Companies House. You must submit an annual return of the company accounts with Companies House on a yearly basis.

There are also filing requirements for HMRC, for your Company Tax return. This is what HMRC use to calculate Corporation Tax. You will still need to notify HMRC and Companies House if the organisation is dormant, and not trading.

Free bookkeeping software

Included in all our accountancy packages

Learn more

After submitting

When you register a company with Companies House, they will inform HMRC automatically. They use the information to issue the organisation with a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number.

You will also receive a letter with the end date of the first accounting period. They use the figures you provide on the form to calculate this. If you don’t return form CT41G to HMRC, the date of registration will be used to calculate the end date of the first accounting period. This will be 12 months from the date of registration.

The dates you must pay any Corporation Tax which is due, and the filing dates for the Company Tax Return will also be sent out.

It is also possible to use the online services of either Companies House or HMRC to provide information for an active company. This online system can also be used to register the company for VAT or PAYE and to supply statutory information required by HMRC. As the system can be complex, it is advisable to seek professional guidance when starting a limited company or any other organisation which may be liable to Corporation Tax.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.