Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The CWF1 form is used to register or re-register with HMRC as a sole trader for Self Assessment. You can also register online.

When should I submit my CWF1 form?

You should use the CWF1 form to tell HMRC that you’re a sole trader by 5th October in your second tax year. This is so that you register in enough time to submit your Self Assessment tax return, without receiving a penalty for late registration.


accounting services for sole traders

What happens after I submit a CWF1 form?

HMRC will issue you with a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. You’ll then need to keep business records so you know how much money you earn, and your expenses. These records will help you complete your Self Assessment tax return every year, and HMRC might ask to see them.

What do I need to include on a CWF1 form?

The form will ask you for your personal details, NI number, and the nature of your self-employed business. This includes the business name you plan to trade under, and the address where the business will operate.

Learn more about our online accounting and bookkeeping support for sole traders. Get an instant quote, or talk to an advisor by calling 020 3355 4047, or use the live chat button on screen.

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.