Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you need to register for Self Assessment, but you’re not self-employed, you can either use  the SA1 postal form, or register for Self Assessment online.

Why do I need to register for Self Assessment if I’m not self-employed?

HMRC need to know about any income a person receives so that they can check how much tax you need to pay. Even if you’re not self-employed, you might need to register for Self Assessment for another reason, such as:

When you register for Self Assessment and you’re not self-employed, HMRC need to know why you are registering. HMRC will tailor your tax return each year, so that you only complete the relevant sections.

instant quotes for online accountancy

If you submit online you will answer questions to confirm which sections you need to complete. When you submit a paper tax return, you must ensure you complete all of the relevant forms.

What happens after I submit an SA1 form?

Once you have registered, HMRC will send you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. You’ll need to submit an annual Self Assessment tax return each year, unless your situation changes. If it does change, and you no longer need to submit a Self Assessment, let HMRC know so they can update your record.

Learn more about our online accountancy services, or talk to an advisor on 020 3355 4047. Fill in our form for an instant tailored quote.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.