Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Employers issue a P60 to employees at the end of every tax year. The P60 shows the employee how much their employer has paid them, as well as the tax and NI contributions their employer has deducted for PAYE, in a tax year. It also shows an employee’s tax reference number.

Do I need to keep my P60?

Though an employer should issue payslips each time they pay staff, a P60 is a useful document to keep hold of. It shows you what’s been earned (and deducted) in a year, and is often the easiest way to prove what income and tax has been paid.

If you’re self-employed then your P60 will help you complete the ’employment details’ section of your Self Assessment tax return.

Complete managed payroll service

From just £6 per payslip

Learn more

How do I get a P60?

A P60 is normally issued by your employer at the end of the tax year (5th April, ever year). If you don’t receive one, follow this up with your employer.

Do I get a P60 from each employer?

If you have more than one employer, then you’ll receive a separate P60 from each one. The individual P60s will only show the income and tax deductions relating to that employer. If you complete a Self Assessment tax return, don’t forget to include the details of each employer – you’ll need the separate P60s to help you.

Do I have to print my employees’ P60?

If you’re an employer you can provide your employees with either a digital or paper version of their P60. You’ll need to make sure they receive their copy before 31st May in the same year that the relevant tax year ended.

Do sole traders need to issue themselves a P60?

As a sole trader you’re not technically paying yourself a salary from the business, you’re just left with the profits. Because you’re not an employee, you don’t need to issue yourself with a P60.

Learn more about outsourcing your payroll to our online payroll services. To talk to an advisor, call us on 020 3355 4047, or grab an instant online quote.

About The Author

Suzanne Goodier-Dodson

I'm a Payroll Manager with a degree in Mathematics, responsible for overseeing every aspect of payroll for our clients. In my spare time, I love to travel and going to gigs. Read my Staff Spotlight.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Employers Need to Know About Statutory Maternity Pay

There’s lots to think about as an employer, but one big thing you don’t want to fly under your radar is what…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.